I guess it's a good thing that God gives us strength to handle just today. Not knowing the future is a mercy.
But here I am, on June 2, 2020, and we finally know what's next. Gil has accepted a teaching job at a school in Southern California, and we will be moving to our new city in about three weeks.
Back in October, I asked you, "Anybody out there looking for people like us?" You were amazing! We got emails from all over the United States, some with suggestions of places and ministries we should consider, and others that were practically job offers. It was really exciting to think about all of the possibilities that were out there for us.
But as Gil and I really started to consider what were going to be our priorities for this next chapter, we kept coming back to one thing: Our Kids. Our kids were the primary reason we had decided to move to the States at this particular time. With their unique backgrounds, we wanted them to adjust to American life while they were still young. So while there was a part of us that really wanted to jump into something crazy and amazing like moving to Houston to work with refugees, we realized that wasn't what would be best for our family at this time.
Gil and I began to prioritize two things: We wanted to live as close as possible to extended family (which narrowed locations down to California or Arizona), and one of us would need to teach at a Christian school. When we considered the educational options out there, we decided that a small Christian school would be the best way for our particular kids to transition to American life. In order to afford it, that meant one of us needed to teach at one.
So Gil and I started researching Christian schools all throughout California and Arizona. We eliminated all of the ones that were in areas we couldn't afford to live in, which for California, was most of them. We sent out dozens of resumes and a number of applications. We had some good leads. Surely we would have job offers by March or April....right?
Wrong. As you all know, the world stood still in March and April. Schools in particular became paralyzed by the unknowns. No one was hiring. In fact, most of us wondered if education in general would ever be the same again. So all the days ticked by in March....April....and into May. Along with dealing with my own roller coaster of emotions due to our early and sudden departure from Tanzania came increasing concern about our future. I started envisioning my life as a never-ending vagabond, jumping from one hospitable relative to another.
Then the miracle happened: A position opened up for a Bible and History teacher at a Christian school in Southern California. A fantastic school and the perfect location--half a day's driving distance from all of our family, and affordable enough that we could manage to, you know, feed our children after paying rent. Gil went through several interviews with several people. He was offered the job just over a week ago.
And the miraculous part? This is the school where one of our very best friends from Tanzania, Ben Snyder, is the principal. You might remember that I wrote about the Snyder family in The Happiest Kind of Sadness: Portrait of a Friendship and The Adoption Story of Zawadi, the Parents Who Waited for Her, and the God of Miracles. When the Snyders moved to California a year ago, we were thrilled that meant we might be able to occasionally see them. We talked about how cool it would be if that meant our lives might cross again, but we didn't dare to hope that would actually happen. I mean, what would be the odds?
But God doesn't work by odds. There was one position available at their high school for next year, and it was a position that Gil just happened to be uniquely qualified for.
Right around the same time Gil got this offer, another one came in as well, which threw us for a loop for about a week. But really, it was an obvious choice. God had answered our prayers and orchestrated a seemingly impossible set of requests: Living in California, a job at a Christian school, and incredibly, doing life again with some of our best friends.
There's another question, of course, that you might be asking: What are you going to be doing, Amy? Well, that's another story. I too have accepted a job, but I'm not ready to write about it yet. Partly because the journey to my new job is a story that will take a while to tell. But mainly because I still have several more weeks left as elementary principal at Haven of Peace Academy. My mind and heart still belong there at the moment, so I will write about the new job when this one is finished.
In the meantime, yesterday we found a place to live and we will move in in about three weeks. We've lived with uncertainty for so long that my emotions haven't quite caught up yet. Am I really allowed to be excited? I can't write out this story without seeing for myself the hand of God in working this all together for us. I am so very thankful.
|The Medinas and Snyders back together again, this time in California.|